Monday, March 1, 2010

An Interesting Weekend in Hawaii

What an interesting weekend!

Because of the big 8.8 earthquake in Chile, we were under a Tsunami warning on Saturday morning here in Hawaii. Luckily it didn't develop into anything more than a small surge though.

I was excited and wasn't worried too much since we live high enough up the hillside to not be affected by a Tsunami. We went to a nearby hillside where there were probably 200+ people gathered to watch and take pictures, but we were so high above Hilo Bay we couldn't even see the surges. We finally gave up and went home and watched it on TV and the Internet.

Here is a short time-lapse video showing the surges. The foot bridge leading over to Coconut Island has been wiped out in every Tsunami to hit Hilo, except of course this one.


While I am relieved there weren't any injuries, deaths or property damage, it was still a let down to only have a small surge. Many people here on the islands feel the same way, so I'm not the only storm junkie ;o).

5 comments:

  1. This makes me wonder what else can happen this winter. From the snowy blizzards covering the eastern US, to the Haiti incident, then Chile, it seems like the world is going haywire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of nice to get a personal report. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice Ron! I was watching this with great interest hoping no one I knew was in danger. I was absolutely amazed that there was a Tsunami watch all the way to Australia. Thank you for the footage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't believe how much stronger that one was than Haiti. I heard that the earthquake was so strong that it actually changed the earths axis or rotation and that days will now be shorter by some milliseconds. That will be my excuse for not getting things done. Venezuela's leader claimed we used a super weapon on Haiti. Sounds like something I saw on GI Joe cartoons as a child, aka the Weather Dominator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was worried when I heard there was a Tsunami warning; makes you think of the 2004 Tsunami that killed so many people. It's nice to have a personal perspective on it.

    ReplyDelete